Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My Baby


I emailed this to a lot of you who read this blog already but I think that the more people praying the better. . . the words in bold type were not included on the email.

Dear Family and Friends,

I had a hard day yesterday. I think that it was made harder due to the fact that we woke up at 4:40am and I was really tired but it was hard none the less.

(We woke up at 4:40am because a friend of ours bought us Canucks tickets for the Sunday game . . . SOOO fun. Sawyer's paediatrician appointment was for 10am Monday morning so that meant catching the 7am ferry, hence the very early wake up :) )

I took Sawyer to the paediatrician to have a look at his head. It is (and always has been) oval shaped instead of round. This in itself isn't concerning but he has really never had a soft spot (called a Fontanel) on the front of his head. This spot is only supposed to close at about a year. It also seems like his head bones are beginning to fuse together already. These two things mean that the brain is growing out to the front of his head and to the back of his head because there isn't the room for it to expand like it normally should (causing the oval shape). He is doing everything that a three month old should be doing and more so they are almost totally certain that the brain is growing as it should be so far and that is good.

He will be having a CT scan here in Victoria and going to the head clinic at Children's Hospital in Vancouver within the next two weeks to see what the next step will be. Best case scenario is that the bones have not began to fuse together but rather it is just the membranes (which are pliable)that have been fusing. If this is the case he will have a band made for his head that will force the head to grow rounder. If however the bones have already begun to fuse together he will need to have a surgery to seperate those bones, allowing the head and brain to grow properly. These thoughts are really hard for me. I know he is in good hands, most importantly GOD's and also those of the doctors at Children's hospital but I am still a little scared and kinda overwhelmed.

Sawyer and I have had several "conversations" about this and throughout them all he just "coos" and smiles, I think he is reminding me that God is in complete control so why worry, right?!

I'll update you all as I learn new information.

Please keep us in your prayers.

Thanks so much!!!!!!

4 comments:

jc said...

Praying for you as we speak (type) Corinne...
~Carmen

Kirsten said...

Just letting you know I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family.

Kristal Sawyer said...

We will be praying for your family and little Sawyer!!!

aorr said...

Hi, you probably don't know me, but i am somehow connected to folks who link to your blog and was reading your last post. It is difficult to know what to say in such uncertain times like this, but I wanted to let you know that my cousin had the same thing. . . and did end up going to surgery to separate the bones in her skull. She is now a happy, healthy, smart, 15 year old girl with no long term effects. We will be praying for you.