Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Here's the scoop. . . . beware this is a LONG blog!


First of all, thank you so much for praying for Sawyer and our family. It feels so good to know that there are so many people praying for him!!!!

I took Sawyer to see Dr.Steinbok at the neurosurgery clinic yesterday morning. He did a really good job of explaining to me what has happened to Sawyer's head. He has what is called Sagittal Suture Craniosynostosis. He used to skulls to show me where the bones have fused and why. I will try to relay that to you.

From what they know now the bones fused because he was "lodged" in one position for the majority of my pregnancy. I knew this as I could very obviously feel him staying head down on my right side for at least the last 5 months of pregnancy. After I delivered him the nurses were also able to tell that he had spent a lot of time on the right side as my uterus was misshapen. Weird, eh?? The fusing actually likely happened in-utero.

I've taken info from some websites that explain it the same way that the doctor did to me.

What is Craniosynostosis (CRAY-nee-o-SIN-os-Toe-sis)

To allow for rapid brain growth, your baby's skull cap is made up of five bones, held together by a fibrous-like material called "sutures". Normally, they remain open as long as the brain grows, which gives the brain room needed to grow in all directions.

If any of the sutures close or fuse before the brain has finished growing, the condition known as craniosynostosis occurs. Other terms used to describe this problem include: synostosis, or cranial stenosis. Premature closure can take place before birth or at any time until the brain stops growing.

Because the brain is growing normally, it will take the path of least resistance which will result in a misshapen head or face.

Sagittal (SAJ-ut-ul)

The sagittal suture is located on top of the head extending from the soft spot to the back of the head. This is the most common type of craniosynostosis, occurring in three to five infants of every 1,000 live births. This is also most commonly found in males. Because the brain cannot grow or expand sideways, it is forced to grow forward and backward leading to the forehead protrusion, narrowing of the temples and an elongated head. This condition is known as scaphocephaly (SKAF-o-Sef-a-lee).

Here is a link to a site that shows you a bit of what is going on with Sawyer. "Case 1" looks just like his head looks now.

In order to correct this Sawyer has been booked for surgery June 26 at Children's Hospital in Vancouver. Dr.Steinbok will be performing the surgery.

Dr. Steinbok explained to me all of the different incisions that they would be making. They end up cutting pieces of bone right out of his head and resahping them and then putting them back into his head. Without the skull to show you it is kinda hard to explain what and where they are cutting. All of the cutting happens on the back half of his head though.

The "traditional" operation is carried out by making a scalp incision from ear-to-ear, mobilizing the scalp to expose the skull, total or sub-total skull removal, which is followed by reshaping and replacement of the skull with a variety of materials.

This surgery usually takes a few of hours and the biggest risk is that in 10% of cases done at Children's Hospital in Vancouver (the lowest percentage in the world!!!) the baby will need a blood transfusion during the procedure. Sawyer will need to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days post-op and there will be a bed for me beside his bed so I will not be leaving his side!

We are so relieved and thankful to our parents for the abundance of help and support that they have been and will be :) Cory's mom is flying out June 23 and staying at our place until July 1!!! This will allow me to go to Vancouver and be a complete peace that my family in Victoria is being well looked after. My parents will be doing some taxiing around of Sawyer and I on the mainland as well as being at the hospital with me while Sawyer is in surgery. THANK-YOU!!!

So, I think that's it. Thanks so much for your continued prayers, especially on June 26 during his surgery. Oh, we are having Sawyer dedicated at church on Sunday June 23 and would love to see you there!

(doesn't he look like a happy baby?? That's 'cause he is!! It is so fun and easy being a mom to such a contented baby. He sleeps well, eats well, is ready to smile at anyone who pays attention to him (especially his brothers). . . . I love him so much!)

4 comments:

Anika Lacerte | The Handcrafted Story said...

Wow - it's pretty amazing what they can do! Did they tell you how long it would take for Sawyer to recover? I've added Sawyer to the daily prayer requests at work, so every weekday someone's praying for his surgery.

Great pictures! In these pictures he looks like your baby pictures.

Kirsten said...

Wow indeed. Thanks for writing all the details Corinne! Just wanted to say I will continue to pray for you and your family. Maybe I will see you at Children's.

Sarah said...

Definitely praying for you and your little one! I will write it on my calendar to remember him especially on the 26th.

Anonymous said...

Corrine and Cory, Just wanted to let you know that we too are praying for your family and sawyer. I was at Cindy's baby shower and talked to your mom a little about it. we pray that all goes well and after the recovery phase you can put all this behind you. i look forward to meeting all of your boys at the reunion.
Michelle. Oh by the way my brother and his wife just moved in next door to your sister and brother in law